Thursday, October 7, 2010

St. George 2010

Well St. George was a lot different this time compared to two years ago.  Then, the weather was FREEZING and WET.  This time it was record breaking heat.  How would just normal be??

Anyway, I (Eric) ran the marathon on Saturday, 2 October 2010.  I was hoping for a finishing time that would qualify me for entrance into the Boston Marathon.  My goal was 3:35:59, but missed it by a lot.  I finished at 3:57:47 (just 22 minutes off, give me a break!!).  I can give a bunch of excuses for the poor finishing time, but I won't.  But in case you're interested, a few of them are 1) foot surgery earlier this spring, 2) carrying around too much weight, 3) a week in Italy a week before the marathon, 4) record breaking heat during the race.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade the week in Italy with Marie for anything.  That was a blast.  But I wouldn't suggest it as a training aid.

Marie and I took Mindy, Abby, and Paige and Leslie with us to St. George.  I had fun, and I think the others did too.  We really didn't do much except marathon stuff.  Mayby next time I can convince those who go to maybe go to Zion or see some of the other sites.  St. George is a neat place.

Here are some pictures:

This is my (Eric's) foot in a sock/shoe made be Vibram.  It is the new craze in running.  People actually wear these to run in.

Here I am coming down the stretch, trying hard to beat this nice lady.

Crossing the line (finally!!!)

After the race, I shouldn't have sat down because at this point I didn't think I could get back up.  Will someone please help that poor man??

Here is a picture of Abby, carrying Leslie, and me at the condo.  I wish we would have taken a shot of the whole group, but . . .

1 comment:

  1. Eric, you are an inspiration to me! Every time you tell us about your marathon I think I really want to do that and then I come back to reality and realize that probably won't happen. It's nice to dream anyway. Way to go big brother!

    ReplyDelete